In this section
Years with Albins: 11
Download our Brochure
We can trace the Albin history back over two hundred years, when the family were wardens of a local cemetery. In these very early days bodies were moved by hand carts.
Albins opened their first funeral parlour in Snowsfield, Bermondsey in close proximity to the new St. Thomas’ Hospital. The horses were stabled in Fendal Street, Bermondsey and new shop premises were opened at 62 Jamaica Road, Bermondsey (where Barry grew up).
By the early 1950’s, the company had acquired a fleet of motorised funeral vehicles. The first vehicles were bull-nosed Daimlers and Rolls Royce Hearses and limousines. One of our original hearses is still used to this day.
In 1974 the company moved to its current premises in Culling Road, SE16 under the stewardship of Fred Albin. Barry and his young family lived above the premises.
Barry took the business over from Fred Albin in 1986 and today we have a network of branches covering South East London and Kent and operate a fleet of the most up to date Daimler vehicles.